Friday, May 16, 2014

Five For Friday May 16, 2014




This week has been an absolute tumultuous week and can I just say TGIF with a great big AMEN?  Friday at last and time to link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday.


My week started off with a bang when my principal came up to me 5 minutes before recess was over and said, "We have bad news, we are losing a position in fourth."  I am low man on the totem pole in my grade (since I just moved up this year), so I knew this was going to effect me.  Then she smiled and continued, "We have an opening in first."  


I think first graders are absolutely adorable to look at, but truthfully, I don't want to live there.  If anyone asked me what grade I would LEAST want to teach, first grade would be it.  I have often said, "I am allergic to first graders". It isn't entirely un-true, I spent most of my practicums in first grade (despite requesting 4th-6th) and spent the ENTIRE semester sick!  I have never been so exhausted in my entire life!  I give much props and admiration to those of you who do teach first grade and are amazing at it, but for me, I just couldn't do it!  Add that to the fact that I have now changed grades EVERY year for the past three years, this would be the fourth year at a different grade!  I have no supplies for first grade - I do have an amazing library of chapter books, but I am thinking they would not be useful to the majority of students in a first grade room!  So, my week has been a blubbering mess of me crying (yes I am being a baby about it, but really, how many times should I change grades? When I got my license for K-8 I didn't think it would mean I would teach every grade in that spectrum!  Luckily our contract states that they can't move us more than 2 grades without our consent, so it looks like they will have to juggle around to place me in 2nd or 3rd.  I am hoping for 3rd since I taught that last year, but who knows?  I will keep you updated as soon as I know.



We have managed to get some work done and MAPS reading tests completed in between crying jags (not just about the grade level switch, but the fact that I am losing my kiddos that I have taught for two years in a row is starting to hit me).  They keep coming up to me with little notes that say "I love you, or you are the best teacher ever,"  Every time I get one the waterworks start flowing!

I came in the classroom to see this note of encouragement one of them had written to the whole class today about our school token system.  I couldn't have been more proud!  


It made me want to ask the school next door to create a new position so I could roll up to 5th grade with them!  More tears!



Summer Fun- Writing, LA, and Math Activities using Popsicl


As I said between crying we did manage to get some work done.  We had a Popsicle themed week using this Summer Fun Writing, LA, and Math Activities using Popsicles for Big Kids packet from Cutsey Clickables from Collaboration Cuties.


They each chose one of these prompts and completed a brainstorming graphic organizer. 





Then they were off to write.

After a bit of editing and revising, we completed final copies made to look like Popsicles.












We also did a little math review.











Last night was my third son's last high school theater performance.  It was Senior Night and they all did a brief monologue before the actual play.  Here is a really bad picture of him, but I wanted to show it off anyway, because I am really proud of him!  He will be studying film in the fall at the University of Montana and I am going to miss him a lot.  So, yes, even more tears.

I am hoping this weekend will be a lot more restful with more smiles and less tears!  Hoping yours is great as well!

4 comments:

  1. I feel for you, Kelly! Lucky that your district has that rule though about moving more than 2 grade levels... we are getting a new teammate next year due to an opening and she has taught high school special ed for the last 15 years... never a day in elementary, but she wanted a change. She had the highest seniority when she bid into the opening, so she gets it. Not only will it be a learning curve for her, but for our team as well. She doesn't know our curriculum at all, behavior management strategies for this age, technology we use... bless her for wanting the challenge (she has a great attitude so far, so I'm trying to as well). I hope it all works out for you. I couldn't image having to move grades a 3rd or 4th year in a row. Wherever you move, your students are lucky to have you!

    Kelli
    Tales of a Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending hugs your way....all these career changes AND a graduating son...too much! Hang in there and know that we are all thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1st grade??? I would flip. I taught 5 years of Kinder and 6 years of 1st. It's been so long since I taught the little kids I don't think I would be able to do it. After 8 years of switching grade levels every year, I think I'm actually going to get to stay in 5th for another year. My heart goes out to you! I'm here if you need to vent!!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please feel free to check out my blog I just started. www.journeyto5thgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...