Sunday, September 30, 2012

Stickers - An Economy In Our Classroom

I had wanted to implement an economy rewards system in my classroom, but most ideas I found seemed like a lot of work to me.  Like most teachers, my plate is overflowing already, so I wanted to make it simple.  It finally hit me one day - stickers! I LOVED getting stickers as a kid, but my kiddos love them even more because each one is worth $1 in our classroom economy.

Each student has a small notebook like this:

Whenever the student turns in an assignment, answers a "stretchy" question, or is "caught being good" I give them a sticker to put in their book.

At the end of the month we have a mini-store with various prizes (books, pencils, erasers, etc.) and they can "spend" their stickers.  I simply use a sharpie to cross them out as they spend them.


4 comments:

  1. Great classroom economy idea! Love the simplicity of it :)
    Erin
    http://adventuresinthirdgrade-brown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea! I have so many stickers and now I have a way to use them in the classroom :)

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this idea! How do you place a value on the things they can purchase with their stickers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We count each sticker as a dollar basically and then the items are priced between $5 and $300. I generally set the price at $1 per penny for what I pay for things - so a $300 item cost $3.00. If it is prize like a homework pass or sitting in a bean bag chair it might be $10 or $20.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...