Monday, May 12, 2014

Ungifted - Must Read Monday



We just started a new read aloud and it is hilarious!  I picked this book up at our Scholastic Book Fair and I am so glad that I did.  It tells the story of a trouble-making boy who causes trouble at this middle school.  One of his antics goes just a little too far, and he is sure that he is going to end up in reform school or worse.  Instead, due to an administrator's mix-up he is sent to a school for gifted kids, which he is sure that he is not one of.  

My kids were laughing out loud as I read the book.  I have to wait for the laughter to subside to continue reading, but it is so worth it, because this is just one of those books that MAKES kids WANT to read!  

With all of my read alouds I have the students write down reactions as we are reading.  Before this read aloud I asked them to share at least one thing they are gifted at.  I got some really thought provoking responses.  Some were exactly what I expected, but others really took me by surprise.  I love how this book roots for the underdog and I can't wait to finish it with them!

I am linking up with Teaching Maddeness for Must Read Monday - Head over there for some other great book suggestions!
Must-Read Monday Linky



If you haven't entered already, be sure to head over here to win a $25 Teachers Pay Teachers Gift Card.  Only 1 day left!





3 comments:

  1. I read this book this year because it's on the Rebecca Caudill list for next year (and my school used it for One Book, One School last year, so I wanted to catch up). I thought it started off great, but then I lost interest. I finally quit it and asked my coworkers to fill me in on the ending. I know... such a cheater!!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE when I find books that keep the kids rolling in laughter. It warms my heart when they catch that love of books! Thanks for linking up this week. ;)

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book on my shelf since I teach Gifted kids. Every time I go to read it, someone is already reading the book. I will need to snag it quickly this summer. Lol!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...