Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What's Your Math Problem!?! Book Study Chapter 5

I am linking up with
                                                     Jennifer Smith-Sloane from 4mulaFun
                                                     Meg Anderson  from Fourth Grade Studio
                                                    Jamie Riggs from MissMathDork
                                                    and Jennifer Findley from Teaching to Inspire 5th Grade

for this book study on What's Your Math Problem!?!



 If you missed my previous posts you can find them here:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4

Chapter 5 - Visualizing Strategies

This chapter focus on the following four visualizing strategies:
  • Make a Model
  • Draw a Picture or Diagram
  • Act it out
  • Make or Use a Graph
I think these strategies are pretty self-explanatory, so I'm not going to go too in depth with the descriptions of each. 

I definitely use the first two strategies in class all of the time.  If my kiddos are not understanding, I will pull out blocks or other manipulatives to give them a model.  I also tell them to draw out problems, especially multiplication and division problems.  The two strategies that I don't use very often are acting it out or making or using a graph. 

Have you used these two strategies in your class?  Any advice on implementing them in mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...