Sunday, August 2, 2015

Word Walls For Upper Elementary



I am linking up with Schroeder Shenanigans in 2nd and Lucky Little Learners for this month's #2getherwearebetter.  Today we are talking all things bulletin boards.

Now, if keeping bulletin boards fresh and exciting doesn't come easy to you - don't worry - you are not alone!  I am not a fan of constantly changing my bulletin boards, but, I don't want to keep the same thing up all year long either.  So, here are a few of my tips for making life easier on you when it comes to bulleting boards.


Set-Up - When you start the beginning of the year, get your boards ready with a background that you can use all year long. I suggest using fabric or better yet, sheets from Wal-Mart.  I used the Wal-Mart sheets and it was under $5.  The first time I put them up, I ironed them, but this year, I left them up at the end of the school year, and I am leaving them as is.  Because really, who has time for that at the beginning of the year?!? 

I also like to layer two different types of borders to give it some extra oomph.  I have also used ribbons and scrunched up tissue paper as borders.



Make Your Bulletin Boards Useful & Interactive- I like to have at least one bulletin board that we add pieces to throughout the year.  Above is a picture of my BIG KIDS word wall, which focuses on prefixes, suffixes, vocabulary, spelling rules, and root words.  Right up my 4th graders alley.


I will start the year with just the headings up, and we will add each piece as we learn it. 







Calendar Walls and Daily 5/CRAFT/CAFE walls are also some other ideas of bulletin boards you can add to.



Anchor Charts- The other way that I like to change out my bulletin boards is by hanging anchor charts to them.


You can see a few of our Writer's Workshop anchor charts on the wall behind this lovely birthday girl.



Before you go, head on over to our giveaway page to enter our current giveaway!  Every week one lucky winner gets a $25 Teachers pay Teachers gift card! 

I hope you have garnered a few ideas for keeping it simple when it comes to bulletin boards.  If you have any other great ideas, please share in the comments below!  Then head on over to read some of the other great ideas from other bloggers here.






3 comments:

  1. I love how your bulletin boards match your blog design. I can tell a lot of your personality shines through in your classroom and on your website! Thanks for sharing such great ideas!

    -Jessica
    The Whimsical Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you red double border combo :) It looks fabulous.
    @Wiley Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have shared some great ideas! I especially like the idea of a double border! They look very pretty and fresh--and different! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...