Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Compassionate Confrontation

I started using Compassionate Confrontation in my classroom last Spring and it has been amazing!



Compassionate Confrontation has not only reduced tattling in my classroom, but it has helped my students to develop skills of self advocacy.

I started by introducing the following sentence stems to my students.


They say:

When you...
I feel...
Because...
Next time...
I am prepared to...

As I introduce the stems to them, we also brainstorm ways we might use them.  An example I might give, is when someone that sits near you is making noises.  

The student might say,

"When you tap your pencil, I feel distracted, because I need it quiet when I am doing my work.  Next time you make noise, I am prepared to ask Mrs. Malloy to move you to a different spot in the classroom."

I love how much better my students are becoming at solving problems for themselves!  If you give it a try, I'd love to hear about it in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...