Monday, April 20, 2015

Using Subitizing Cards to Foster Multiplicative Thinking

Subitizing is an instant way of counting.  I had heard of several first grade teachers using it with ten frames to teach the concept of ways to make ten.




 I had never thought of using it to teach multiplication until I found these multiplication subitizing cards.



I have been using these cards as warm ups for small group and whole group lessons as well as for time fillers when we have a few extra minutes.  The kids love them and it has also helped with learning their math facts!  





Have you used subitizing cards in your classroom?



2 comments:

  1. How cool! Where did you find them? My kids love the subitizing app from The Teacher Tipster...it subitizes with dice, fingers, ten frames, dominoes, and I can't remember what else!
    Thanks,
    Nancy
    The Apple Basket Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember how I found them, but the link to find them is in the post (the red font). Hope that helps! I need to try out that app! We are supposed to get ipads next year (fingers crossed!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...